Tip of the Week
Happy New Year!
Let’s start the year off with a quick overview/reminder of food safety critical temperatures
- Refrigeration 0˚ to 8˚C – ideally less than 5˚C
- Freezer minimum -18˚C or colder
- Cook high risk foods to 75˚C or above for a minimum of 30 seconds
- Reheat to 75˚C or above for a minimum of 30 seconds
- Cool within 90 minutes then refrigerate
- Hot Hold above 63˚C
Keep hot food hot above 63˚C or cool it within 90 minutes and keep cold below 8˚C – ideally less than 5˚C.
Weekly Food Fact
Best fish to buy in January is Turbot, nicknamed “King of Fish”. It is a large, flat, ugly fish that has delicate, firm, white flesh. It is quite expensive so check for best quality before buying. Check the eyes are clear, fins are intact, gills are bright red and that there is no discolouration of the flesh. The bones make excellent fish stock.