Tip of the Week
One of the most important things your staff need to remember is frequent and effective handwashing.
We recommend that all staff are reminded weekly at a quick staff gathering to wash their hands using the following process:–
- Wet hands
- Apply soap
- Rub hands together, covering backs of hands, palms, fingers and between fingers, for around 20 seconds
- Dry hands using blue roll and, if using hand operated taps, turn off taps using blue roll so clean hands are not re-infected
All staff to wash hands:–
- On arrival at work
- After changing into uniform
- On entering or re-entering your work zone – every time!
- After every change in task – especially important in the kitchen
- After bringing in deliveries
- After touching face, coughing, sneezing, going to bathroom, eating etc.
- If using gloves – before putting gloves on and after removing them
- Dining Room – after handling items used by student/staff (crockery, cutlery etc).
All handwash basins to be stocked with handwash soap and single use hand drying facilities – paper towels/blue roll/hand dryer. All handwash basin and taps to be cleaned and sanitised frequently throughout the day. No nail brushes!
Weekly Food Fact
Did you know that 1 in 5 people do not wash their hands after using the bathroom. Of those who do, only 30% use soap! Hands need to be washed for 20 seconds or more with soap to effectively kill germs. Bacteria and viruses can be found on over a quarter of our hands!